Wild Mushroom Barlotto with Asparagus, Leeks, Pine nuts, Manchego, and Mint
The feat of a completely balanced daily diet can be daunting, so make it easy by choosing nutritious and tasty foods that make you feel great.
If you have a thing for risotto, but want to avoid starchy carbs, then consider organic pearled barley as your next go-to whole grain. Barley, with its nutty, pasta-like consistency, has numerous health benefits (full of fiber and good for your heart!) so it’s the perfect substitute for rice. Plus, this version of Barlotto (barley risotto) is so smooth and velvety, but only uses a bit of olive oil instead of butter or cream.
1 cup organic pearl barley
4 1/2 cups organic chicken stock
1 cup dry white wine
1 pound assorted wild mushrooms (try oyster, trumpet, and shiitake), sliced
1 bunch organic asparagus, bottoms trimmed, 1″ pieces cut diagonally
2 medium leeks, trimmed and cleaned, sliced into thin half moons
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 large shallot, chopped
3 sprigs mint, cut into thin ribbons
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
3 oz grated manchego or Spanish sheep milk cheese
1 cup of pea shoots to garnish
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Using a large sauce pan, simmer chicken stock (do not boil)
2. Preheat a large skillet, with medium heat, and add extra virgin olive oil
3. Add onions and shallot, and saute for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add chopped leeks, and continue to saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add mushrooms, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until juices release
5. Add barley, and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add 1 cup of white wine, and stir constantly.
6. When white wine is absorbed, add 1 cup of hot chicken stock. Stir constantly, or until stock is absorbed. Continue to add 1 cup of hot chicken stock, while constantly stirring, and let absorb. Repeat this process until barley is slightly al dente and has a creamy texture.
7. Add chopped asparagus with the final cup of broth, and cook until tender but has a slight snap.
8. Stir in pine nuts, mint, and freshly grated manchego. Garnish with pea shoots. Enjoy!