I’m excited about this post for two reasons:
1. I just got a new 50mm fixed lens; the photos in this post are seriously improved.
2. I’ve never used my broiler before, and the results were wonderful. It’s my new favorite cooking method (and fast, too!)
I originally found this recipe in my current favorite vegan book, Pure Vegan (also used here and here), but decided to transform it into tacos. It was really very easy: I followed the recipe straight from the book, and then stuffed it in a crunchy corn tortilla. It’s so good, very light, and healthy. I’m a little obsessed.
Broiled Tofu, Carrot, and Shiitake Mushroom Tacos
You will need:
1.5 pounds of carrots (peeling is not necessary)
1.75 pounds extra-firm tofu, drained and patted dry
3 oz shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
1/4 cup peanut oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp grated peeled fresh ginger
5 green onions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted, for garnish
lime wedges for garnish
1 package corn tortillas, cooked over an open flame until lightly charred and crispy (about 1 minute per side)
1. Set an oven rack 4 to 5 inches below the broiler and preheat the broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
2. Cut the carrots crosswise into 3-inch lengths. Cut the pieces lengthwise to a width of about 1.5 inches. Cut the tofu into 1.5 inch dice. Thinly slice the mushrooms.
3. In a large bowl, combine the peanut oil, soy sauce, salt and ginger. Add the mushrooms and gently toss until evenly coated with the marinade. Transfer the mushrooms to the prepared baking sheet. Put the tofu in the bowl with the remaining marinade and toss to evenly coat.
4. Broil the mushrooms for 5 to 10 minutes, until gender, turning once about halfway through. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn. Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl and cover to keep warm. Leave the oven on.
5. Add the carrots to the bowl of tofu and toss evenly to coat. Transfer the carrots and tofu to the same baking sheet, reserving the marinade.
6. Broil the carrots and tofu for 20 to 30 minutes, until nicely browned, turning a time or two as needed. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn. When done, transfer to the bowl of reserved marinade. Add the mushrooms, green onions, vinegar, and sesame oil and toss gently until evenly coated. Transfer to a large platter or smaller individual dishes and sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds before serving.
Optional Step 7: heat corn tortillas over an open flame on your stove until lightly charred and crispy (about 1 minute per side), add tofu mixture and enjoy!