Let me start by saying this chimichurri sauce recipe will go with anything. Chimichurri is a parsley and garlic based dressing, enhanced by lime juice and your favorite chile pepper. It is delicious with steak, and is equally pleasing with roasted veggies. Seriously, it will make your most hated (healthy) veggie taste like butter.
This salad is a robust medley of New York strip steak, roasted zucchini & mushrooms and fresh mozzarella. The best part about it: you could easily customize it to your liking, since the chimichurri sauce is so versatile. A perfect meal for carnivores and vegetarians alike. Enjoy!
Chimichurri Steak Salad (serves 4)
You will need:
FOR THE CHIMICHURRI SAUCE
- 1 cup (packed) fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (packed) fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Puree all ingredients in a food processor. Set aside in a bowl; refrigerate up to two hours ahead.
FOR THE STEAK
- 4 boneless New York strip steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1. Brush steaks with oil. Combine the cumin, salt and pepper. Rub over steaks; set aside.
2. Grill steaks, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium 160°; well-done 170°).
FOR THE VEGGIES:
- 5 yellow zucchini squash; sliced
- 3/4 pound cremini mushrooms; sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
1. Heat the oven to 475°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment. Toss the squash and mushrooms in a large bowl with a generous amount of salt and pepper and the olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes, then toss the mixture once, and return to the oven. Roast for an additional 10 minutes, or until the squash is brown and the mushrooms dark and slightly shrunken.
Combine the steak and roasted veggies over a bed of butter lettuce. Add fresh mozzarella bocconcini (balls), and drizzle the warm salad with as much chimichurri sauce as you like.