Spaghetti is one of my true loves, but I rarely make it during the week. I try to maintain a healthy diet, with splurges here and there, so spaghetti is not something I prioritize.
However, spaghetti squash is another story. I swear to you – it tastes just like spaghetti cooked al dente. Healthy, simple and tasty. Once you try it, you will be hooked on the guilt-free deliciousness. Enjoy!
Spaghetti Squash with Cherry Tomatoes, Goat Cheese & Basil
You will need:
FOR THE SQUASH-
- 1 spaghetti squash, remove seeds and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt + pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Brush squash with olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Sprinkle brown sugar on both halves.
3. Place halves cut side down on baking sheets and roast for 40-45 minutes, or until fork tender. Set aside to cool.
4. When cool enough to handle: with a fork, shred the pulp of the squash away from the skin and place in a large bowl.
FOR THE SAUCE-
- 1 pint organic cherry tomatoes, roasted whole for 15 minutes with salt
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1 cipollini onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of loose basil, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
1. Drizzle olive oil in a large saute pan. Add onions and saute over medium heat. Cook about 5 – 10 minutes, or until slightly brown. Add garlic and roasted tomatoes. Cook another 10 minutes.
Combine tomato sauce with spaghetti squash. Garnish with basil, and stir in goat cheese.