I like to start my week with momentum. I feel like if you have a productive Monday, then the rest of your week can only get better. This past Monday, I finished off a long day with an evening run, and barely had the energy to cook. Somehow, I whipped up an impromptu dinner frittata, which took no more than 20 minutes, using ingredients purchased at the farmer’s market. I was really impressed with the results, since the effort was so minimal. This frittata is great because you can make it with any ingredients you like — and it’s pretty hard to mess it up. Yum!
Frittata with Swiss Chard, Leeks and Roasted Fava Beans
You will need:
6 eggs (that’s all I had; traditionally the recipe calls for 10 eggs, which yields a thicker frittata)
2 cups of sliced swiss chard (cut into big, lettuce sized pieces)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 small leeks, diced
1 large shallot, diced
1 cup roasted fava beans
2 tbsp thyme leaves
sea salt + freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°
2. Crack all 6 eggs in a bowl. Add thyme, salt, and pepper, and whisk until combined. Set aside.
3. Drizzle olive oil in an ovven-proof, heavy-bottomed saute pan. Turn up heat to medium, and add shallots. Cook until lightly browned, about 4 – 5 minutes.
4. Add garlic and swiss chard; cook until chard is wilted, another 4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside
5. Using the same pan, drizzle more olive oil, and add leeks. Saute until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add cooked swiss chard, shallots and garlic, and cook another couple minutes.
6. Add eggs. Make sure to spread out completely in pan, and then add the fava beans. Every minute or so, lift up the sides of the eggs (like an omelette) with a flat spatula and tilt the pan so uncooked egg slides under the cooked eggs. This method ensures the eggs are cooked and the bottom of the frittata is crispy.Cook for about 10 minutes, or until just set on the bottom.
7. Finish off in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked and fluffy. Serve with your favorite condiments. Easy dinner (or breakfast) is served!